A recipe that came out of my broke early 20′s. I was living with roommates who were also usually broke, and we all lived paycheck to paycheck. I was usually the one to cook, and tried to make meals of cheap ingredients taste delicious. The most requested meal that came out of that time was a combination of broccoli, pasta, and parmesan cheese that eventually became known simply as Broccoli Stuff.
- 2-3 heads of broccoli
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 pound bite-sized pasta
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Ground pepper to taste
- ¼ to ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese (powdered won’t taste as good here)
- Get a few heads of Broccoli, and break them into bite sized pieces.
- Fill a large pan ¾ full of water, and bring to a boil. Add a few splashes of salt, then toss in the broccoli florets. Cook for just a few minutes, long enough for the florets to green up, and the water to turn a light chartreuse.
- Scoop out the florets, and add the pasta – I like penne, but anything bite-sized will work. Cook the pasta until it’s al dente.
- In a large skillet, drizzle in the olive oil, and some minced garlic – I usually go for about 3-4 cloves – and let it start to get golden, then add in the cooked broccoli florets.
- Grind some pepper over the broccoli, and then add in the cooked pasta.
- Next, add a few pats of butter to the sides of the mixture, letting it melt down into it… mmm, butter…
- Toss the mixture around to get everything well-mixed.
- Turn off the heat, and sprinkle a good ¼ to ½ cup of parmesan over the pan, let it melt a bit, then stir it in.
Previously published in part here: http://cookingwithevil.blogspot.com/2010/03/broccoli-stuff.html